Homebuyer Resources for Texas Veterans
Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation (TSAHC)
Homes for Texas Heroes Program: provides access to fixed-rate mortgage financing, down payment assistance grants and mortgage credit certificates to low and moderate-income veteran households. More information is available here.
- Eligibility Requirements: Click here to take the program eligibility quiz. Applicants must also complete a homebuyer education course. Find a homebuyer education course here.
- Application process: Households meeting all eligibility requirements should contact one of TSAHC’s participating lenders. Click here for a list of participating lenders.
Affordable Communities of Texas Veterans Housing Initiative (ACT-VET): provides discounted and donated homes to veterans who are disabled and/or low-to-moderate income.
- Eligibility Requirements: Click here for a list of program eligibility requirements.
- Application Process: For more information and to find out how to apply for the program, please contact David Danenfelzer at 512-477-3562 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Veterans who qualify for both the Homes for Texas Heroes Program and ACT-VET program may use both programs together.
Texas Veteran’s Land Board
Veterans Housing Assistance Program (VHAP): provides low-interest land, home, and home improvement loans that require little or no down payment. Click here for a description of each loan type. The program also offers an interest rate reduction to qualifying veterans with a disability.
- Eligibility Requirements: Click here to take the program eligibility quiz.
- Application Process: Homebuyers interested in applying for the VHAP should request an application from one of the program’s participating lenders. Find a participating lender here.
Pen-Fed Dream Makers Program: offers grants for down payments to veterans who are first-time homebuyers. Please note: applications are only accepted when funding is available. Please check Pen-Fed Foundation's website for updates.
- Eligibility Requirements: Click here for a list of instructions and eligibility requirements.
- Application Process: Applicants are encouraged to apply online here.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Homes Loans: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides a home loan guaranty benefit to help veterans buy, build, repair, retain or adapt a home to suit their occupancy needs. By guaranteeing a portion of the loan, the VA enables lenders to provide eligible veterans with more favorable terms. Click here for additional information.
- Eligibility Requirements: A list of eligibility requirements for all VA home loan programs is available here.
- Application Process: Eligible veterans can apply for a VA home loan through any lender who participates in the VA program. Click here for additional instructions.
Explore VA offers Veterans and their family members fast and easy ways to learn about benefits they may be eligible for and to begin the application process. Click here for more information.