Get Ready: Making Texans Homeowners for Life
In 2014 TSAHC teamed up with the Texas Association of Realtors (TAR) to promote the benefits of taking a quality home buyer education course prior to purchasing a home with a public awareness campaign titled "Get Ready: Making Texans Homeowners for Life."
The numbers speak for themselves. Studies show that home buyers who receive pre-purchase home buyer education are 33% less likely to fall behind on their mortgages, compared to home buyers who don’t take a home buyer education course.
Not all home buyer education courses are created equal. A quality homebuyer education course offered by nonprofit housing organizations, often HUD-approved, or government entities such as a city housing department can help you:
- understand, establish or rebuild your credit, reduce debt, and save for the future;
- determine if you are ready to buy a home;
- understand mortgage loans and recognize and avoid predatory loans and services;
- navigate the home buying process;
- find local and state home buyer assistance programs; and
- understand the ongoing responsibilities of homeownership and how to be a successful homeowner for life.
Find a home buyer course
To find an organization that provides home buyer or financial education in your area, please visit the Texas Financial Toolbox. This free online resource was created by the TSAHC to give you an easy way to find the organizations you need to achieve your financial and homeownership goals.
Find a Texas REALTOR
Texas REATLORS® are a valuable resource for home buyers interested in buying a home. The TSAHC encourages home buyers to learn more about how a Texas REALTOR® can help them.
Want to help make Texans homeowners for life? If so, we’ve have great materials to help you promote quality financial and home buyer education.