10 Funding Sources to Grow Your Housing Programs

October 17, 2014 | by Katie Claflin

Categories: Home Rehabilitation/Repairs, Supportive Housing Services

In 2008, TSAHC conducted a poll of Texas housing non-profits to help us determine which services to support through our newly established Texas Foundations Fund grant-making program. The poll revealed that very low-income Texans are most in need of critical home repairs and supportive housing services. Six years after creating the Texas Foundations Fund, we have awarded nearly $1.9 million to provide critical home repairs and supportive housing services to over 8,200 very low-income Texans.

Each year we strive to grow our Texas Foundations Fund so we can assist more low-income Texans, however, we know many more families need help. For this blog post, we want to call attention to other funding sources that support similar critical housing services. Below is a list of 10 additional funding sources that can help our nonprofit partners sustain and continue to expand their home repair and supportive housing service programs.

Federal Home Loan Bank
Provides grants for home rehabilitation and repair.  Non-profits must partner with member banks to submit an application and should apply to the FHLB to which that member belongs.  Click here to read more about the FHLB of Dallas’ housing programs.

Home Depot Foundation
Provides grants and gift cards to support home repairs and rehabilitation, with an emphasis on serving veterans.

Wells Fargo Housing Foundation Homeownership Grant Program
Provides grants for the construction or rehabilitation of owner-occupied homes

Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) Amy Young Barrier Removal Program (AYBRP)
Provides grant funding to help households with a disability increase accessibility and eliminate hazardous conditions in their home.

HOME Investment Partnerships Program
Provides funding for a variety of housing programs, including home rehabilitation.  Click here to find a HOME program administrator in your area.

TDHCA Housing Rehabilitation Assistance (HRA) Program
Provides federal HOME funding for the rehabilitation or reconstruction of owner-occupied housing.

Texas Veterans Commission Fund for Veterans Assistance
Provides funding for home repairs and mental health services for veterans.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA)
Provides grant funding for programs addressing substance abuse and mental health issues.

HUD Homelessness Assistance Programs
Provides formula and competitive funding to support programs serving Texans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

Wounded Warrior Project
Provides grants for supportive housing programs serving veterans.

On the House blog posts are meant to provide general information on various housing-related issues, research and programs. We are not liable for any errors or inaccuracies in the information provided by blog sources. Furthermore, this blog is not legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed professional attorney.



Now I just need the initiative to do this. The non-profit a friend of mine has started is going well but needs some work and I’ve been tasked with fixing some of the hiccups. I suppose hard work is all it’s gonna take, now it’s just a matter of how hard I’m willing to work. Anyway, thanks for the article, helps a ton!

lyric nallia

Family services texas has decided to take me and my separated husband to court due to his drug abuse and lack of motivation. I’ve done everything by the book and I’m looking for help getting a home for me and my 2 daughters. I’ve been a stay at home mom for 6 years now with just my youngest ssi do to her disability. I can’t go to court and ask to bring them back to where we were do to my soon to be ex husband.  I need to show them I have a safe place for the girls and I need help income wise. This is the only way I can get them back. Please help me and god bless

Leave a Comment