In commemoration of Teacher's Appreciation Week, we'd like to acknowledge the adaptability, dedication, and creativity that our school teachers have continued to exhibit throughout this pandemic. With the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccines and the return to in-person schooling, our educators have creatively balanced the health and safety of themselves and our children with the need for an educational and engaging school day.
Their continuous display of innovation and dedication is the reason why we’ve honored Texas teachers through our Homes for Texas Heroes program since its inception in 2003. Considering all the work educators have put in for the sake of Texas' children, TSAHC wants teachers to know that when it comes to realizing the dream of homeownership, we’re here to help.
The Homes for Texas Heroes program provides down payment assistance and mortgage interest tax credits to help teachers and other Texas Heroes buy a home in the community they serve. And it’s not only teachers that are eligible for the program. Teacher aides, school librarians, school counselors, and school nurses working full-time in a K-12 public school in Texas are also eligible for home buying assistance.
Our Homes for Texas Heroes program offers multiple options, so Texas Heroes can select the option that works best for their own plan. Program benefits include:
- A 30 year fixed rate mortgage loan with several rates and loan types available.
- Up to a 5% down payment assistance (DPA) available.
- DPA provided as a grant (never needs to be repaid) or forgivable second lien loan.
- Don't have to be a first-time home buyer if only using our DPA program.
Heroes using both our DPA and MCC (Mortgage Credit Certificate) programs do need to be first-time home buyers (unless purchasing a home in a Targeted Area); however, heroes will receive the MCC for FREE, a $500 savings!
If you are a Texas teacher interested in our Homes for Texas Heroes Program, we recommend you take the following steps:
- Take the Eligibility Quiz to see if you meet the income requirements.
- If you qualify, contact a participating lender to apply. You will be directed to a list of participating lenders in your area at the end of the eligibility quiz, or you can view the full list here.
On the House blog posts are meant to provide general information on various housing-related issues, research and programs. We are not liable for any errors or inaccuracies in the information provided by blog sources. Furthermore, this blog is not legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed professional attorney.